Here Are 10 Home Remedies For Tooth Abscess
78 found this useful
An abscess, in the simplest terms, is a pocket of pus that forms due to a bacterial infection. When it comes to dental abscesses or tooth abscess, they usually occur when bacteria invade the dental pulp - the innermost part of the tooth that contains blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue. This invasion is often the result of tooth decay, gum disease, or a cracked tooth. These conditions can allow bacteria to enter the pulp, leading to infection, inflammation, and the formation of an abscess.
To overcome this dental infection, below we list down 10 Home Remedies you can try out.
10 Remedies for Tooth Abscess
1. Saltwater Rinse
A natural disinfectant, salt water can help drain the abscess and relieve discomfort. It’s one of the simplest home remedies for abscess that you can do comfortably at home.
2. Cold Compress
Cold compresses are very popular for injuries and infections. Applying a cold compress can reduce swelling and numb the area, providing temporary relief. Doing this multiple times a day can help you fight the pain effectively.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide Rinse
A popular ingredient in mouthwashes and other oral care products, Hydrogen Peroxide can kill bacteria and reduce inflammation. Mix a small amount of it with water and rinse your mouth with it for a few moments to gain some relief.
4. Coconut Oil
Swishing coconut for 10-20 minutes can help remove bacteria and promote oral health. This is called oil pulling and has been a traditional method used by Indians for generations. This method can easily remove germs and toxins from your body and treat infections, bleeding and inflammation.
5. Aloe Vera Gel
We all know how aloe gel is a super ingredient in the list of natural remedies for cuts, wounds, dryness, inflammation and more. The same is the case for tooth infections! Apply aloe gel on the infected area and see how it easily helps decrease inflammation and infection.
6. Peppermint Tea Bags
Cool peppermint tea bags and place them on the infected area. This will work as a cold compress and the peppermint’s medicinal properties will also help heal your infection.
7. Baking Soda
The same baking soda you use in your home baking can be used to reduce the pain caused by your tooth infection. Simply mix baking soda in warm water and gargle with it for a few minutes. In no time, its antibacterial properties will work their magic and help you!
8. Fenugreek Tea
Research has found fenugreek to have medicinal and antibacterial properties that can help fight tooth infections. Since this type of tea is also readily available, you can quickly brew a pot of fenugreek tea and ease your pain!
9. Oregano Oil
Most essential oils like oregano oil, clove oil, thyme oil and lavender oil are exceptional at healing tooth infections. Oregano oil has antibacterial and antioxidant properties that can help heal tooth abscesses.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
It's known for its antimicrobial properties and can help fight infection, toothache and more. Swish some in your mouth for a minute and rinse your mouth to avail its benefits.
Remember, these tooth infection remedies can provide temporary relief, but they're not a substitute for professional dental care.
When Should You See a Dentist?
While home remedies can provide temporary relief, a dental abscess is a serious condition that can lead to complications if not properly treated. If you experience severe pain, fever, swelling in the face, or difficulty swallowing or breathing, seek immediate dental care.
Tips to Prevent Tooth Abscess
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day using fluoride toothpaste. This helps to remove food debris and plaque that can lead to abscesses.
- Flossing daily helps to clean the spaces between your teeth that a toothbrush can't reach. This reduces the risk of plaque buildup and tooth decay.
- Use makeO toothsi oral care products like toothsi electro and toothsi smartwater water Flosser. These products are designed to promote oral health, which is crucial in preventing conditions like dental abscesses.
- Sugary substances can lead to tooth decay, which is a common cause of dental abscesses. Try to limit your intake and brush your teeth after consuming such items.
- Go for regular dental check-ups. Regular visits to the dentist can help detect problems early before they develop into more serious conditions like abscesses.
- Don't ignore toothaches and gum sensitivity. These could be early signs of a dental problem. If you experience persistent toothache or gum sensitivity, seek dental advice promptly.
- Avoid tobacco. Smoking or using other tobacco products can increase your risk of dental problems, including abscesses.
- If you participate in sports or activities that could result in a facial injury, protect your teeth with a mouthguard.
Remember, prevention is always better than cure, especially when it comes to your oral health. So, follow these tips and choose makeO toothsi products for your oral care needs. Stay healthy, stay smiling!
What is the meaning of a dental abscess?
A dental abscess is a pocket of pus that forms in the mouth due to a bacterial infection.
Can a tooth infection lead to an abscess?
Yes, an untreated tooth infection can lead to an abscess.
How effective are home remedies for dental abscesses?
Home remedies can provide temporary relief, but professional treatment is necessary to completely resolve the tooth abscess.
Can a dental abscess go away on its own?
No, a tooth abscess won't go away without treatment - either dental procedures or antibiotics.
How can makeO toothsi oral care products help in preventing dental abscesses?
makeO toothsi products are designed to promote oral health, which is key in preventing conditions like dental abscesses.
other related articles