Difference Between Milk Teeth and Permanent Teeth
98 found this useful
Parents are often the first teachers in the lives of children, especially when it comes to the basics of health, including dental health. We are the ones to teach children how to brush their teeth, how to gargle and use mouthwash etc. As parents, we need to be updated on all the basic knowledge of children’s oral health and their development as a growing child is bound to deal with the falling of milk teeth and the growing of permanent teeth. It’s an interesting journey and one that requires some prior knowledge.
If you are a young parent who is curious about their child’s oral health, then in this article we’ll take you through one of the most basic concepts:
how are milk teeth different from permanent teeth?
The Difference Between Milk Teeth and Permanent Teeth
When you understand the difference between milk teeth and permanent teeth, it helps you build effective dental care for your child.
Milk teeth, also known as baby teeth or primary teeth, are the first set of teeth that children develop. Typically, a child has 20 milk teeth which start appearing around the age of six months. These teeth are not just placeholders for permanent teeth; they play a significant role in a child's development, aiding in speech and the proper formation of the jaw and face!
Permanent teeth, on the other hand, are the second and final set of teeth. You may have noticed how as a child you must have lost a tooth only to find another one erupting right underneath! These teeth underneath are permanent. These 32 teeth begin to replace milk teeth around the age of six years. They are larger, stronger, and meant to last a lifetime! The enamel on permanent teeth is thicker and less prone to decay compared to milk teeth, however, they still require diligent care.
Milk teeth vs Permanent teeth: How to care for each of them?
How to Care for Milk Teeth
Caring for milk teeth lays the foundation for healthy permanent teeth. Here are some oral care tips for milk teeth for parents to make a note of:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste in pea-sized amounts
- Always take them for dental visits regularly to spot any early issues
- Limit sugary snacks and drinks which can cause tooth decay
- Reduce bottle feeding and thumb sucking
- Make sure they are safe while playing to avoid any injury to their teeth
- And most importantly, teach your child the importance of brushing twice a day!
How to Care for Permanent Teeth
Caring for permanent teeth is a bit different. Here's how you can ensure their longevity and health:
- Regular brushing and flossing can remove plaque and food particles and rid the teeth of bacteria and germs
- Including electric toothbrushes and water flossers from makeO toothsi to enhance your oral hygiene and keep your smile well-protected
- Use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash as it kills germs and ensures stronger enamel
- A balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals supports dental health
- Limiting alcohol, smoking and staining beverages like coffee to retain the whiteness of your teeth and using makeO toothsi teeth whitening products and smile care combos for quick whitening
- Using a mouthguard while playing contact sports, doing dangerous physical activities or simply to reduce teeth grinding and keep your teeth safe
- Correcting bite issues, and loose tooth and fixing teeth alignment can also help in reducing the number of oral care issues that one can face. Some of the best tools to do so are makeO toothsi aligners!
makeO toothsi: A Leading Oral Care Brand
makeO toothsi stands out as a leading oral care brand for permanent teeth care. Its range of products is designed to cater to the specific needs of permanent teeth, offering comprehensive care that includes electric toothbrushes, water flossers and more. The brand emphasises quality ingredients and effective formulations that are especially beneficial for teens and adults.
In conclusion, understanding the difference between milk teeth and permanent teeth is integral to providing the right dental care for your child. While both milk teeth and permanent teeth have their unique characteristics and needs, the underlying goal is to maintain good oral hygiene and regular dental care. makeO toothsi offers an excellent range of products tailored for permanent teeth care, ensuring your child's smile remains healthy and bright. By embracing these practices, you can ensure your child enjoys a lifetime of healthy smiles!
other related articles