Why is skin moisturizing in winter important?
89 found this useful
With every season, our skin reacts and changes. In the winter season, our skin tends to become drier and flakier. In fact, most people commonly suffer from extremely dry and dull skin during this time. This is when winter skincare products come in handy. Moisturisers for the winter season particularly can turn your skin around due to their exceptional nourishing properties. But why does our skin become drier and what are the different ways to tackle this? Find out here.
What happens to our skin during winter?
The winter season in India sees low humidity, and abundant cold air which can take away all the moisture from the skin. This is why the skin on your face can appear dull and dry. Even your arms, legs, heels and elbows crack and become white and dry for the same reason.
If you are facing scaling, dryness, itchiness, rough skin, cracked skin, burning sensations or redness, it is a sign that winter has affected your skin and you need to immediately try methods of winter skincare for dry skin.
How do we prevent skin problems in winter?
Here are some ways you can try to prevent dry skin problems in winter :
- Moisturising in winter using body lotions, cold creams, lip oils or lip balms etc.(Daily)
- Avoid using hot water and have a bath in lukewarm water
- Avoid overwashing or over-exfoliating
- Using sunscreen religiously
- Using a humidifier in your living space
- Slugging with petroleum jelly to retain moisture
- Avoid tanning
- Keeping yourself hydrated so that your skin feels hydrated
- Avoiding harsh soaps or cleansers that can strip natural oils from your skin
- Covering your skin to avoid direct contact with the cold, harsh winds
- Use good quality Vitamin C sheet masks to keep your skin hydrated
Tips for Ways to Moisturise Effectively in Winter
- Always remember to moisturise after a bath. Use a gentle towel to dry your skin and immediately go in with a body lotion and a moisturiser to keep your skin feeling nourished.
- Consider using an ultra-nourishing night cream and applying a religious amount of it before going to bed each night. Since the skin cells work at night to repair the damage, using a night cream is beneficial for improving your skin health.
- Look to add emollients to your skincare routine. You can’t only rely on hydrators for moisturising in winter. Look at shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, argan oil, petrolatum and squalene as options to add to your skincare and help retain the moisture of your skin.
- Be alert and keep assessing your skin while you make changes to your skincare routine. In case of redness, irritation and inflammation, make new changes to create a simple and effective routine.
- Avoid using peels, exfoliators and scrubs or keep them to a minimum to ensure that they do not cause more drying, scaling and redness.
Other Tips for Skin Care During the Winter
- Using a humidifier or carrying a small humidifier around you can help your skin retain moisture and fight dryness.
- Drink water regularly. Staying hydrated from the inside can have a direct effect on the skin.
- Consider consuming fluids and hydrating foods rich in vitamins and antioxidants.
- Never forget to apply sunscreen and reapply it every 2-4 hours for maximum protection against the sun, dryness and redness.
- Choose softer fabrics for towels, bedsheets and pillow covers.
- Choose skincare products without alcohol and fragrances to avoid irritation.
Further Information on Helping Your Skin Look Its Best
Looking for ways other than skincare routines to improve your skin health in the winter season? Check out makeO skin (formely skinnsi). Our hydrafacial treatment can not only clean and hydrate your skin but its nourishment can also replenish your inner glow. One 1.5-hour treatment is done with dermatologist-backed ingredients and FDA-approved equipment to ensure you only get the most hydrated and nourished skin post-treatment! Visit makeO skin (formely skinnsi) today!
Should I use a moisturiser if it is cold?
Yes, you should look for an ultra-hydrating and nourishing moisturiser to bring hydration and nourishment to your face. Cold creams and many other cream-based products can effectively help prevent dryness and bring back your inner glow during winter.
Is moisturiser used in summer or winter?
A moisturiser should be used every day regardless of the season. In summer, you should opt for lighter formulations and in the winter season, you should opt for thicker and more nourishing formulations to keep up with the changes in the skin as per the season. However, the usage of a moisturiser is essential for the success of a skincare routine all year round.
Should we apply moisturiser at night in winter?
Yes, you can apply a moisturiser at night in winter. In fact, since nighttime is when skin cells begin their repair work, applying a moisturiser for the winter season at night can be the best way of quickening the healing process and giving you the plump and hydrated skin of your dreams!
other related articles