Skincare Tips to Manage Dry, Oily and Combination Skin
34 found this useful
We often ignore the facts but don't forget that the skin is the largest organ of our body. Taking care of your skin can make it look better than before. But this act of skincare is unique for everyone.
Since the most effective skincare routines are built to tailor unique skin concerns and types, you cannot possibly take the one-size-fits-all approach with it. For example, if you have oily acne-prone skin and you use a popular but thick and creamy moisturiser, this could block your pores and cause more oil and pimples!
This is why you should first understand your skin type before jumping into buying skincare or trying ways of taking care of your skin. If you’re feeling lost about this, here’s a simple guide for you.
Skincare for Different Skin Types
Dry skin is dehydrated and prone to fine lines and wrinkles. For dry skin, you must use products that provide lasting moisturisation.
- Use gentle, non-abrasive ingredients, such as glycerine and honey extract that promote skin cell turnover.
- Also, apply serums containing hyaluronic acid or glycerin to increase hydration in the skin and get a nourished look.
- Dry skin users can sometimes skip soap or cleansers and gently wash their skin with water to maintain moisture.
- Avoid soapy, or stripping products that rid your skin off moisture.
Oily skin usually has enlarged pores and is prone to acne. But it also looks more supple due to natural moisture. Skincare for oily skin may not be as complicated as it seems. Here’s what you should keep in mind:
- For oily skin, use a gentle exfoliator that controls oil production and helps get rid of dirt and oil.
- Avoid using oil-based cleansers and oil-based make-up products as they can clog the pores and result in acne.
- Also, use AHAs and BHAs to control hyperpigmentation.
- Vitamin C and Niacinamide are also great ingredients for oily skin as they brighten the skin, regulate oil and keep your skin hydrated.
Normal skin is not completely dry, nor does it have the presence of too much oil. It is one of the most low-maintained skin types of them all as normal skin types typically do not have any major skin concerns. To keep it that way and fight tiredness, oil and dirt, it is safe to still follow some vital skincare tips like:
- For normal skin, use an exfoliating cleanser to eliminate the dirt accumulated throughout the day.
- Use a gentle cleanser twice a day to make sure your skin is free of oil and dirt.
- Also, use a moisturiser that stabilises the moisture content and a replenishing toner containing antioxidants.
- Never miss sunscreen as it can prevent ageing, skin damage, pigmentation and more.
- Don’t overcrowd your routine and damage your skin. Less is more, is the mantra to follow! Use only a few wonderful products that work for your skin and stick with them consistently for better results. Unlike skincare for oily skin, normal skin typically has fewer products in use but works just as effectively.
People with combination skin are not prone to getting acne on the cheeks but have a supple T zone. Skincare routines for combination skin need to contain gentle products that do not cause excessive drying and help maintain the moisture on the skin.
- The products need to have a balance of non-greasy and hydrating ingredients.
- Use a gentle exfoliator containing hyaluronic acid, vitamin E and salicylic acid to keep your T zone free from oil.
- Also, apply moisturisers that aren't too heavy but can retain moisture.
- Ingredients like hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid, lactic acid, shea butter, coconut oil, and aloe are great for building the best skincare routines for combination skin.
Sensitive skin can be the most challenging to manage. Using the wrong products or ignoring your skincare can cause sensitivity, irritation, dryness, redness and more. It is very important for sensitive skin users to follow certain skincare tips to keep their skin protected and flourishing:
- If you have sensitive skin, it's best to do a patch test before using any product.
- Buy products that mention 'non-irritating' on the label.
- Use products free from harmful elements, such as parabens, fragrances and mineral oil.
- Never forget to protect sensitive skin from the sun by using a trusty sunscreen with an SPF higher than 50.
- Beware of heat and pollution as they can negatively affect sensitive skin. Make sure to cool your skin down regularly using cold or lukewarm showers, ice packs or face masks. Fight pollution by wearing masks or scarves and keeping your face clean.
Best Skincare Tips For All Skin Types
Now that you know about all the important tips for skincare for different skin types, there are some habits and measures all users across skin types can take to not only protect their skin but also boost its health.
- Apply sunscreen and avoid sun
No one likes stepping out in the sun, so why not avoid it?
It's best to stay inside during the scorching heat. And if you still need to go out, wear sunscreen at all times and don a hat. Use UVA and UVB sunscreen with at least SPF 30. You can also wear a scarf to protect yourself from the heat.
- Avoid using too many products
Have you ever heard the statement - 'too much of anything is bad'?
If yes, you're going to relate to what we are saying. Using an excess of any skincare product can cause dryness, itchiness and redness. In fact, layering several skincare products can clog the pores and lead to breakouts.
- Moisturise your skin day and night
There's never a bad time to moisturise your skin. Use a moisturiser right after you come out of the shower and before going to bed. However, avoid using creams with heavy fragrances and find a gentle moisturiser that does not cause irritation.
- Stop touching your face
We cannot disagree. We all do it. Whether it's comforting an itchy nose or wiping the mouth with our hands, we do it without a second thought. But, the truth is that your hands aren't always the cleanest so you should not touch your skin. Plus, touching your face can also transmit viruses. Another reason to keep your hands to yourself!
- Exfoliate every now and then
The skin loses almost 50 million skin cells a day, and without some extra effort, some of them might just hang in there. This can leave your skin looking dull.
To get rid of such skin cells, you should exfoliate your skin once or twice a week. But remember to use pH-neutral products that do not dry out the skin. This tip ranks higher in the list of skincare for summer.
- Vitamins are good for your skin too
While you may be eating the healthiest diet, there's another way to give the right nutrition to your skin.
You can use certain creams and serums containing ingredients that nourish the skin, like vitamin C.
- Eat your greens
It may seem tempting to have a cup of coffee or tea when you wake up. However, choosing the right beverage can be a game-changer for your skin.
You can replace a shot of caffeine with a shot of chlorophyll at least twice or thrice a week. This will help brighten and hydrate your skin. Consuming chlorophyll will also reduce puffiness by stimulating the lymphatic system.
If you're not down to chugging a chlorophyll shot, then you can find chlorophyll supplements. Also, drink green juices containing a lot of veggies.
- Clean your brushes
No matter how sluggish you feel, it is important to clean your brushes regularly. Wondering why this is an important skin care tip?
This is because dirty brushes can cause a lot of damage to your skin. Daily use of brushes accumulates impurities, sebum, dust, product buildup and even bacteria. So, give your brushes a nice bath at least twice a month.
- Use the right cleanser
You cannot buy every other cleanser you see on the supermarket shelf. One of the most helpful skincare tips is using the right cleanser.
Finding the right cleanser is no rocket science. We'll break down things for you!
- For oily or acne-prone skin – A salicylic gel or benzoyl peroxide
- For dry skin – Glycolic or milky cleanser
- For skin with spots – Alpha hydroxy acid cleanser
- Hydrate and hydrate!
Every skin expert, just like us, will tell you to keep yourself hydrated. Being low on water means being low on charm and radiance. So, drink at least 8 glasses of water every day and choose skincare products with a hydrating formula!
We hope you now know enough about improving the health of your skin with the above-mentioned skincare tips. But if the condition has worsened and you need expert advice, feel free to get in touch with makeO skin (formely skinnsi). We are a team of skin experts providing several skincare treatments like laser hair removal, and hydrafacials along with several effective skincare products to keep your skin healthy and happy. Every service and product by makeO skin (formely skinnsi) is backed by dermatologists and the latest technology to be gentle on your skin and still yield amazing results. Explore our website and get skincare solutions tailored to your needs.
What are some of the best skincare tips?
Some of the most essential skincare tips for all skin types are Cleansing your face 2 times a day with a gentle cleanser Using sunscreen every day and reapplying it every few hours for maximum sun protection and anti-ageing benefits Eating clean and healthy foods Choosing skincare products based on skin type and concerns Avoiding touching your face with hands Making a simple and concise skincare routine Drinking an ample amount of water daily Keeping your lips moisturised
What is the number 1 rule of skincare?
There are many golden rules of skincare but keeping your face clean has to be number 1. If you wear makeup, the first thing you do when you get home is to take it off and cleanse your face! Sleeping with make-up on can cause acne, oily skin and clogged pores.
What is the proper skincare routine?
A proper or comprehensive skincare routine should contain these elements
- Serum 1
- Serum 2
- Eye cream
- Face oil
What is the secret to glowing skin? Exfoliating your skin twice a week with a gentle exfoliator is the key to glowing skin. Exfoliation removes dull dead skin cells and promotes the growth of newer cells. It also improves blood circulation and hence results in glowing skin.
How can I get flawless skin?
You can get stunning and healthy skin by following some important steps:
- Always avoid touching your face or popping your pimples
- Wash your face 2-3 times a day, especially when you sweat
- Avoid using the same face masks and pillow covers for too long and regularly change them
- Make sure to keep your phone clean as it can have many germs on its surface
- Follow a simple and effective skincare routine based on your skin type
- Choose products that have good ingredients and are paraben-free, sulphate-free, fragrance-free and vegan if possible.
- Make sure to do a patch test before using any new product
- Always remember to use sunscreen to protect your skin from sun damage and signs of ageing.
other related articles