How Does Weather Affect Acne? Find Out Here
97 found this useful
Welcome to this enlightening journey where we unravel the intriguing relationship between weather changes and skin health, with a special focus on acne. As we navigate through the seasons, our skin also goes through a roller coaster of changes. This blog aims to arm you with the knowledge to adapt to these changes and make informed skin care choices.
Our skin, the largest organ of our body, is constantly exposed to the environment. This means that weather changes can significantly impact our skin health. From the scorching summer heat to the chilly winter winds, each season brings with it a unique set of challenges for our skin. Adapting our skincare routine to these seasonal variations is crucial for maintaining healthy skin.
How Does Weather Affect Acne?
Weather plays a pivotal role in acne development. Factors like humidity, temperature, and UV radiation can influence sebum production, pore-clogging, and acne formation. For instance, heat on acne can exacerbate the condition by increasing oil production.
1. From Hot to Cold Weather
Transitioning from hot to cold weather can be a tough time for your skin. Warmer temperatures make the skin used to have a certain amount of moisture. The drop in temperature can lead to a loss of moisture, dryness, irritation, and even winter acne flare-ups. This is a time when you must prioritise hydration and nourishment to ensure that your skin has ample moisture content to look plump and feel healthy.
If you don’t manage to care for skin hydration, your body will work overtime to produce oil which can then lead to winter acne!
2. From Cold to Hot Weather
As we move from cold to hot weather, our skin has to deal with increased oil production and sweat - potential acne triggers as they can clog pores and stick dirt to the skin. And did you know that just being exposed to humidity and heat can cause heat acne too?
Humid air is known to trap oil on the surface of your skin. This makes a hot environment on your skin where acne-causing bacteria can thrive and results in heat pimples.
Tips for Acne-Prone Skin During Seasonal Changes
Here are some handy tips for managing acne during different seasons:
- Keep your skin clean but avoid over-washing.
- Avoid extremely hot water showers in the winter as they can strip oil and moisture off your skin and leave it dry and dull.
- Hydrate your skin with a good moisturiser. Use lighter formulations in the warmer months and a thicker formulation in the colder months to avoid acne flare-ups.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Always wear an SPF 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen every month to ensure that your skin remains protected from heat and heat acne. Our recommendation: makeO sun smart ultra matte cream gel sunscreen. It’s a broad protection SPF 50 sunscreen that suits all skin types and is enriched with Vitamin C too. It’s gentle with no parabens, fragrances, AHAs, or BHAs, making it perfect for all seasons too.
- Use non-comedogenic products to prevent acne.
- Maintain a healthy diet and stay hydrated. Nourishing your body is known to impact your skin positively!
- Regularly change your pillowcases and clean your mobile phones as these become host to millions of germs which can worsen your acne.
- Avoid touching your face frequently. And always ensure that your hands are clean when you do touch your face!
- Choose makeO skincare products suitable for your skin type and the season. For acne needs, choose our makeO skinnsi acne away kit which contains an acne serum, toner and a foaming face wash. For hydration needs in the cooler months, opt for happy hydrate ceramide face moisturiser and our refreshing mist spray to keep your skin feeling loved and soft.
Acne Treatment With makeO
Understanding how weather changes affect acne is the first step towards effective skincare. By adapting our skincare routines to the seasons and choosing the right products like makeO, we can keep our skin healthy and radiant all year round. makeO also offers at-home services for acne treatments. Want to know more? You can book a free consultation with our dermatologists via video call, text or just head to our website and fill a free assessment form. Start your acne treatment today from the comforts of your home with makeO.
Can heat cause pimples?
Yes, heat can indeed contribute to the formation of pimples. When it's hot, our skin tends to produce more oil. This excess oil, combined with sweat and dirt, can clog pores, leading to pimples. This is often referred to as heat acne.
How to prevent winter acne?
Winter acne can be a result of the dry, cold air that can lead to dry skin. When your skin is dry, it can trigger an overproduction of oil to compensate for the lack of moisture, leading to acne. To prevent this, make sure to keep your skin well-hydrated with a good moisturiser.
What causes pimples in winter?
Pimples in winter are often caused by the dry, cold air that can strip your skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness and irritation. Your skin may respond by producing more oil to compensate, which can clog your pores and lead to pimples.
Does heat worsen acne?
Yes, heat can worsen acne in some cases. The increased sweat and oil production during hot weather can lead to clogged pores, which can exacerbate existing acne. Additionally, heat can also cause inflammation, which can make acne more noticeable.
How to manage acne during winter?
Managing acne during winter involves keeping your skin well-hydrated and protected from the harsh winter air. Use a good moisturiser to prevent your skin from drying out and overproducing oil. Also, continue to use acne treatments as directed by your dermatologist. Skin Care products from makeO, designed for different skin types and seasons, can also be a part of your winter skincare routine.
other related articles