Have Acne-Prone Skin? Here’s What To Do and Not To Do!
22 found this useful
When it comes to dealing with acne, everyone has an opinion or tips. But will those tips work for your acne-prone skin? That’s uncertain. Also, you don’t have to blame your oily skin for acne. Yes, oily skin is more susceptible to it, but breakouts are common for all, regardless of skin type. So whether you have dry, normal, oily or sensitive skin, you can be prone to acne!
Let’s first understand what acne and acne-prone skin are before we tell you the tips and tricks to deal with them (like a pro!). Let’s go:
What is acne?
Acne is the outcome of clogged pores. When the hair follicles or open pores on your skin get clogged by excess oil, dirt, and dead skin, it leads to bacteria buildup. And not following a proper skincare routine or treatment eventually leads to the formation of acne.
Types of acne:
Non-inflamed acne: They are mild and easy to spot on the skin in the form of blackheads (crater-like appearance) and whiteheads (skin-coloured bumps).
Inflamed acne: When non-inflamed acne is left untreated, it aggravates into pus-filled and red bumps (pimples) on the skin. In chronic cases, acne may show up directly as pimples with redness and blisters around it.
What is acne-prone skin?
Your skin is acne-prone if you notice breakouts more than occasionally. For oily skin, the reason could be grease and dirt, as they can clog your pores. And for other skin types— an unhealthy lifestyle, skincare routine, and diet can trigger acne.
What makes oily skin sensitive to acne?
Although all skin types are prone to acne, oily skin takes the lead due to sebum (oil) production. When the skin turns greasy due to excess sebum, it attracts and settles dirt in your pores. And not exfoliating or cleansing with the right products for acne-prone skin only traps the dirt under dead skin to cause bacterial build-up and acne!
This is why having a proper skincare routine for acne-prone skin is absolutely crucial to keep the acne away. So now, here’s what you should do!
Use suitable products for acne-prone skin, such as:
Products for acne-prone skin
1. Deep cleansing face wash: Use a water-based cleanser to eliminate all the grease, dirt, and bacterial buildup without drying your skin. Not sure where to find one? Check out makeO skinnsi's acne-away face wash here.
2. Water-based moisturizer: Whether you have dry or oily skin, your skin needs to stay moisturized and hydrated. And since an oil-based moisturizer can clog your pores, choose a water-based product instead to hydrate and keep your skin supple.
And makeO skinnsi’s happy hydrate ceramide face moisturizer would be a great addition to your skincare routine.
3. AHAs and BHAs chemical exfoliant: Using a deep-cleansing exfoliator (once or twice a week) will reduce excess oil, unclog pores, and eliminate dead skin.
If you are looking for a suitable one, makeO skinnsi’s be happy AHA BHA exfoliating peel would be ideal. It’s packed with the power of 4 good acids to leave your skin clearer, smoother, and fresher.
4. Water-based toner and serum: A water-based face toner and acne away serum will tighten your pores, restore the pH balance of the skin, heal pimples, and so much more.
And we have just the suitable ones for you at makeO skinnsi!
There you go! Make tweaks to your existing skincare routine with these products for acne-prone skin.
Also, you must stay away from products that are:
Products to avoid for a better skincare routine
1. Oil-based: If you have oily or combination skin, avoid oil-based products. They tend to increase greasiness and will end up clogging pores! Use water-based products instead. And if you have dry skin, you can choose water-based and cream-based products to replenish your skin.
2. Comedogenic: They are a no-no if you have visible open pores and oily skin! These products (with silicones) are curated to fill in pores to create a smooth appearance on your skin. But on the flip side, they can clog your pores, thus triggering acne!
3. Unsuitable: Do not use a product that is not suitable for your skin type, for it will only worsen your acne problems. Scrutinize each product before you add it to your skincare routine to see the desired results.
And for first-timers who’ve never had a skincare routine at all, here’s an AM and PM regime that you can follow:
AM (daytime) skincare routine:
Step 1: Cleansing! Wash your face with an intense cleanser to freshen up and eliminate greasiness and dirt.
Step 2: Since the pH balance of your skin may be disrupted, use a toner to restore the balance, hydrate the skin, and tighten open pores.
Step 3: You can include a daytime serum or skip to the moisturizing step directly. Use an ultra-hydrating moisturizer to replenish the moisture and hydration levels and leave the skin soft, dewy, and supple.
Step 4: Wear a broad spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays. And if you are planning to stay out longer, choose broad spectrum SPF 50 sunblock.
Step 5: Makeup! Choose non-comedogenic makeup products that will not clog your pores and let your skin breathe freely throughout the day.
PM (night time) skincare routine
Step 1: Remove your makeup with a suitable makeup remover. Make sure there is no makeup residue left behind.
Step 2: Wash your face with your cleanser to eliminate all the grease, dirt, gunk, and dead skin cells.
Step 3: Use a toner to hydrate and correct the skin’s pH balance. A suitable toner will also tighten pores and exfoliate any impurities left behind.
Step 4: Apply a nighttime serum to boost your skin’s hydration levels overnight.
Step 5: Apply spot treatments as suggested by your dermatologist to tackle your existing acne problem and avoid potential breakouts.
Step 6: If you don’t have any spot treatments, finish your routine with your moisturizer for more hydration.
But only using anti-acne products and following a suitable skincare routine for acne-prone skin may not suffice. Go on, and adopt these prevention measures to avoid future acne!
How to prevent acne?
Here are some tips to prevent future acne:
Keep yourself hydrated.
Switch to a healthier diet with fruits and vegetables.
Limit or avoid smoking and caffeine beverages.
Avoid picking or popping your acne (it’ll only get worse!).
Avoid using harsh scrubs for exfoliation. Be gentle with your skin.
If you have forehead acne, reassess your hair care routine.
And now you’re all set to say goodbye to acne for good! Take control of your acne-prone skin with suitable and healthy skincare, lifestyle, and products. And if you want to know more about makeO skinnsi’s dermat-curated products, especially for acne-prone skin, click here!
makeO is the first of its kind at-home oral and skin care services in India, that is focussed on providing technology and science-backed solutions to its customers.
makeO will offer expert-backed oral and skin care solutions such as teeth alignment with makeO toothsi clear aligners, laser hair removal, hydra facial, acne treatment services, anti-ageing treatments, and premium products, including electric toothbrush, teeth whitening kit, aligner cleaning foam, face wash, toner, etc. – all of which are available directly at customers’ doorstep as well as at makeO experience centres and partner clinics.
other related articles